If you are looking for the best mountain bikes under $200, and it seems to difficult to choose the best one for you? Then, you are lucky to be here. Keep Reading to get your desired bicycle from our top 10 list.
Are you thinking about picking up a new hobby this year? There are a lot of choices out there, but none will give you the benefits that mountain biking can give you. Besides helping to keep your body in shape, there’s just nothing like riding your bike and feeling nature as one with you. You can ride at different times of the day and have a completely different experience.
You can also spend some time with family and friends and turn mountain biking into a group hobby. All of that sounds good, but before you can enjoy the outdoors, you’ll need to find the best bike first.
Our Top Picks: Best Cheap Mountain Bike Under 200
|Bicycle Brand||Type||Features|| Price|
|Full Suspension||Check on Amazon|
|Full Suspension||Check on Amazon|
Mongoose Men’s Status 2.2
|Full Suspension||Check on Amazon|
GTM 26″ 7 Speed Folding
|Folding||Check on Amazon|
|Hybrid||Check on Amazon|
Huffy 26″ Men’s Alpine
|Hardtail||Check on Amazon|
Schwinn Men’s High Timber
|Full Suspension||Check on Amazon|
|Dual Suspension||Check on Amazon|
Pacific Women’s Stratus
|Full Suspension||Check on Amazon|
|Full suspension||Check on Amazon|
N.B. Price in between $200!
10 Best Mountain Bikes Under 200 Dollars
It’s a great selection of mountain bikes that includes various sizes, suspensions, and features. Your next bike has to be one of these bikes reviewed here, all you need to do is choose. In no particular order, here we’ve listed 10 of the best mountain bikes under 200 dollars in 2019.
1. Kent KZ2600 26” Dual-Suspension Mountain Bike
If you’re looking for a good-looking bike that can give you all the blows and whistles, the Kent Dual-Suspension is the one for you. With its blue and black detailing, you’ll look like a pro on the trail and you’ll certainly feel like one as well.
- With a 26″ full suspension aluminum frame, this bike is made to fit most adults. The aluminum frame is designed to make it light, which you’ll definitely need when going through a rigorous trail.
- This bike has alloy wheel rims. Whenever you’re on a trail, you just don’t know what you’ll encounter. You’ll go through bumps and holes, and the alloy wheel rims are there to make sure that your wheels can stand up to the roughness.
- It features Shimano 21 speed shifters. You might think that you’ll never have a need for a 21-speed bike, but once you get on a trail that requires it, you’ll know the difference. The Shimano 21-Speed will help you get through even the most rugged terrain.
- This bike uses dual brakes—front disc brakes and rear linear pull brakes. You’ll feel a lot more secure riding as fast as you can down a trail knowing that your brakes can handle stopping whenever you need to.
- This bike definitely looks like a luxury bike.
- The gears on the bike will not have any resistance when switching.
- It’s a sturdy bike that can handle more weight and accommodate taller people as well.
- Front forks will be wobbly if not installed properly.
- The pedals will need replacement if the bike is used often.
This Kent mountain bike is a great bike for the entire family to share. It’s fairly universal and is very affordable in price.
2. Northwoods Aluminum Suspension Mountain Bike
For a more rugged and youthful look, the Northwoods Aluminum mountain bike will give you a sporty look that’s perfect for the trail. It’s an excellent bike that will give you everything you could ever need on a mountain bicycle.
- This bike uses a Shimano rear derailleur. Shifting your gears will never be an issue with this bike, and this is something that you want especially if you’re out mountain biking.
- It has full suspension. This means that you’ll never have to worry about your hard landings because the shocks on this bike will absorb the brunt of it.
- The bike has a full aluminum frame. The aluminum frame will give your bike some lightness. You can do your jumps easier, as this lighter frame will be a lot easier to ride.
- It uses a 50mm steel crown fork. As small as this feature may be, having a steel fork will give you better steering, which you’ll need to make those sharp turns on trails.
- This bike is an easy bike to assemble.
- The gears and the bike itself are very durable.
- It can handle long distances and long rides with no problems.
- Smaller parts tend to get lost in the packaging.
- The seat can be upgraded for better comfort.
This bike is a great entry bike for riding on trails. You can get used to maneuvering turns and jumps with this bike because it will provide you with the sturdy support you’ll need. This is one of the best bikes under 200 dollars.
3. Mongoose Status 2.2 Men’s Mountain Bike
Mongoose is a known bike brand when it comes to quality, and this Men’s Status is no exception. It has a beautiful finish and sleek details that make for a beautiful bike, and it has all the standard features of a mountain bike and more.
- It has powerful front suspension forks. Don’t get hurt every time you land on your front tires. The strong front suspension will take a majority of the shock for you, so you can enjoy your ride.
- This bike uses front and rear v-brakes. The brakes will allow you to stop quickly as needed, especially when you encounter dips and blockages on the trail.
- It has light and durable alloy rims. You never want extra weight on your bike if you can avoid it. The light and durable alloy rims will give you less weight to carry around, and the durability will protect your wheels from falling apart.
- The bike has riser handlebars. This will help you adjust better on the trail and allow you a better grip while riding.
- The suspension system is excellent on this bike.
- The Shimano feature makes for easy gear shifting.
- The bike can be put together in just about 30 minutes.
- The seat is more on the stiff side.
- The chains on the tension tend to slip at times.
This Mongoose is perfect for beginner to intermediate riders, who have a good idea of what trail riding and mountain biking is like.
4. Merax Falcon 26” Full Suspension Mountain Bike
It may look like just your average bike, but this Merax Falcon mountain bike has more capabilities than you can think of. Being a full suspension bike, this one will let you get on any trail you wish to ride on, no matter what the difficulty may be.
- This bike has an aluminum frame. The frame on this mountain bike is designed to minimize the feel of any trail bumps.
- It has a weight capacity of up to 330 lbs. This is way more than the average capacity, and it only means that it can provide you with ample support.
- It features a Shimano 21 speed derailleurs and shifters. You’ll have no problems shifting gears easily and precisely with this feature.
- This has an easily removable front tire. You can easily stow away this bike in average car trunk spaces for easy transport and ultimate portability.
- The full suspension on the bikes will give you a smooth ride.
- This bike has the most features for an entry-level bike.
- This bike has bolts that can accommodate an added water bottle.
- You will need to replace the seats on this bike.
- The bike is recommended for professional installment.
This Merax Falcon is a solid mountain bike for the price. You can get the best when it comes to any type of trail because of the full suspension, and you can be guaranteed a good and smooth ride.
5. GTM 26” 7 Speed Folding Mountain Bike
One of the biggest hassles of going mountain biking is transporting your bikes to a specific location. With this GTM Folding Mountain Bike, you’ll never have to worry about not being able to transport your bike anywhere you want to ride.
- The bike features a 26” steel folding frame. It will give you the durability you want, but at the same time, you can fold this full-size bike for easy portability.
- It features adjustable handlebars. This is a great feature when it comes to comfort. You won’t have to feel uncomfortable on your bike.
- It has a lightweight, high tensile frame. You can put this bike through the most rigorous ride you can imagine, and it will be able to handle it completely. Plus the lightweight factor won’t tire you out so quickly during your ride.
- This bike has a 26” suspension steel fork. This will enable you to ride through the most difficult terrain and come out unscathed. It provides stability like no other for the smoothest ride.
- It’s easy to store, grab, and go because of the folding mechanism.
- The bike can fit in the trunk of a regular car when folded.
- The bike will only need very basic assembly.
- The paint will tend to chip off easily.
- The chains will slip off occasionally.
You’ll never find another excuse not to ride with this folding mountain bike from GTM. You can ride any trail you can handle because you can take your bike with you anywhere you go. GTM is one of the best mountain bikes under 150 dollars.
6. ORKAN 27.5” Mountain Bike Hybrid Bike Full Suspension
The perfect combination of hybrid and mountain, ORKAN hybrid mountain bike has more capabilities than you can think of. Being a hybrid bike, this one will let you get on the trail one day and hit the pavement the next day.
- This bike has a steel mountain frame. The frame on this hybrid bike is designed to minimize the vibrations you feel while you’re on the trail. It doesn’t matter whether you’re on a dusty, rocky, or muddy trail; your bike will be able to handle it.
- It has a weight capacity of up to 250 lbs. This is more than the average capacity, and it only means that it can provide you with more support than usual.
- It features a Shimano 21 speed rear derailleur shift. You’ll have no problems shifting gears easily and precisely with this feature.
- This hybrid bike has an adjustable seat. You can customize your seat height to whatever is comfortable for a better riding experience altogether. You’ll just have to make sure that the positioning of your seat won’t cause your body any tension.
- The wheels on the bike will give you a smooth ride.
- This hybrid bike transitions well from urban terrain to a more rugged trail.
- This bike can accommodate taller adults around 6 ft. tall.
- The bike might require professional installment if you aren’t familiar with bikes at all.
- It’s a solid hardtail, so expect to feel the bumpier rides.
This ORKAN Mountain Bike is a solid hybrid for the price. You can get the best of both worlds when it comes to terrain, and you can be guaranteed a good and smooth ride.
7. Huffy 26” Men’s Alpine Mountain Bike, Navy Blue
Huffy has been around for quite some time now, and they’re one of the most reliable names when it comes to bikes. The Huffy Alpine is one of the brand’s more popular varieties, as it has a lot of perks for its inexpensive price.
- The bike is a durable hardtail mountain bike. No matter what bumps and grooves may come along your way, you’ll manage to ride right through them without having to worry about your bike falling apart.
- It uses front and rear steel linear pull brakes. For times when you really need to brake while on a trail, you can rely on this bike to give you a full stop as abruptly as possible.
- The 26” tires are extremely knobby. Your bike will give you more than enough grip on any terrain, whether it’s a dirt trail, a rocky trail, or even a paved road.
- It has weather-resistant lightweight alloy rims. This allows for more improved performance altogether. The weather-resistant quality will also help your bike last longer.
- The Krayton grips on the straight handlebars are built for your comfort.
- The Kolo suspension fork is designed to work only with Huffy bikes.
- The front shock absorber will take in most of the bumps you encounter.
- The pedals will need replacement after a few rides.
- You’ll have to adjust the brakes and shift system before riding.
If you want a reliable brand that’s been known to put out great products, this is the bike for you. The Huffy Alpine Mountain Bike will give you a trail-riding experience that’s smooth, enjoyable, and completely doable regarding what level.
8. Schwinn Men’s High Timber 27.5” Wheel Mountain Bicycle
Another reliable brand, Schwinn has been one of the bicycle industry’s most dominant players. They’ve been making quality bikes for so many years now, and this High Timber mountain bike is no exception to the long-standing quality that Schwinn is known for.
- It features a Schwinn-made suspension fork. You can count on stability with this fork, especially since Schwinn has been perfecting this for so many years now.
- The bike uses all-terrain tires. These wide, knobby tires will give you the ultimate stability on any type of trail. Take the bike out on a dusty trail or take it out on a rocky trail; the tires on this bike will make it feel as close to the even pavement as possible.
- It has a Schwinn alloy cranks. This offers the most optimal gearing there is. You won’t have to worry too much about damages or breaking.
- It uses Shimano twist shifters. Knowing that this bike uses a Shimano component is enough to vouch for its quality. With this component, you’ll be shifting gears smoothly and with complete ease.
- This is the type of bike that can take only 15 minutes to assemble.
- The slight heaviness on the bike gives you a little bit more stability.
- The alloy rims allow the bike to handle even the roughest terrains.
- If not installed properly, the brake will rub randomly.
- The seat can be a little uncomfortable.
- Price little bit upper than $200
This is a great bike for casual riders and those who like to ride for fun. Even with that said, this Schwinn can also handle the roughest rides you could ever think of.
9. Pacific Women’s Stratus Mountain Bike
You can expect nothing less than great out of this Pacific Women’s Stratus. Not only does it have an attractive look to it; it also has very attractive features that will make your riding experience as excellent as it could ever be.
- It has a low standover mountain frame geometry. Not only does this make this bike easier to get on; it’ll also make this bike easier to control. This is something that many women look for in a bike, to begin with.
- This bike uses steel caliper brakes. You won’t ever have to worry about braking anytime you need to. You can get a full stop as quickly as possible and worry less about falling over due to lack of control.
- It has a 15-speed drive thumb shifter and a rear derailleur. This makes shifting gears as smooth as possible. Getting your gears stuck is the last thing you’ll want to worry about while you’re speeding on a trail.
- This bike is equipped with large tires. What this does for you is give you more stability on the bike no matter what kind of terrain you’re on.
- It’s a great bike for relaxing rides.
- The old-fashioned brakes are very easy to learn.
- It’s the perfect bike for beginners.
- You might have to adjust the seats and handlebars for more comfort.
- The pedals are not the sturdiest parts of the bike.
For those who are looking to pick up biking again as a hobby or for those who are just beginning to love mountain biking, the Pacific Women’s Stratus is a good bike to own. You wouldn’t be disappointed with the quality or the affordability.
10. Mongoose R3577 Girl’s Maxim Full Suspension Bicycle
If you’re looking for a bike for a young girl, look no further. This Mongoose bike will not only provide a great riding experience; it will also provide ample support and comfort for your young biker. After all, Mongoose is a well-trusted bicycle brand for the whole family.
- The bike has an aluminum frame. It’s perfect for younger riders to ride in comparison to heavier bicycles. It also maximizes performance, which is something that your young rider might not think of initially but will appreciate in the long run.
- It has full suspension. The front and rear suspension forks work to decrease the feel of bumps and increase total control. It makes for a more enjoyable ride altogether.
- It uses a 3-piece mountain crank. This offers the rider wide gear ranges that will allow for easy gear shifts and a balanced ride.
- The bike has alloy linear pull brakes. For safety and control, the alloy brakes will allow your young rider to stop as needed.
- It’s a great transitional bike for teens looking for a bigger bike to ride.
- The bike comes partly assembled already.
- The lavender color easily appeals to many riders.
- The handles may be too far wide for comfortable handling.
- The seats will have to be replaced.
There’s no better bike for a young rider who wants to venture out into off-road trails. This Mongoose certainly lives up to the quality of the brand, and it’s something that even young bikers can appreciate.
Keep in Mind Before Choosing the Best Inexpensive Mountain Bike
You need to consider the following thing:
One of the most important things you’ll want to consider before buying an inexpensive mountain bike is the suspension. There are three different kinds of suspensions: rigid, hardtail, and full or dual suspension. Rigid bikes offer no suspension whatsoever. Hardtail bikes only have suspension in the front of the bike.
Full or dual suspension bikes have it on the front and also on the back. The suspension is purely a preferential matter. However, most bikers who ride on rough terrains prefer the support that dual suspension bikes can provide.
You’ll want to choose a frame material that will work best for you. Two of the most common frame materials are aluminum and steel. Aluminum is a much lighter material, which will allow bikers to carry less weight while riding. Steel, on the other hand, is a lot heavier than aluminum.
However, it also provides a bit more stability and control while riding. Some bikes use composite materials or part aluminum and part steel to get the best of both metals.
There are also different kinds of mountain bikes out there. The most common one is the trail bike, which can handle general types of trails. There are also cross-country bikes that tackle fast rides. You can also get fat bikes, which entails oversized tires. They’re great for beginners and are useful for the most rugged terrain.
There are mountain bikes, such as the all-mountain bikes and downhill bikes, that are designed for more advanced riders. Don’t get on any of those unless you’ve done due diligence and have greatly improved riding skills.
Gear & Brakes
Of course, you’ll want to consider the gears and brakes that come with your bike. Most decent bikes nowadays are equipped with a Shimano shifter or an equivalent to help you ease into your gear shifting. You’ll also want to take into consideration the quality and type of your bike’s brakes.
It’s possibly one of the most important things that you’ll need to really scrutinize your bicycle because it deals directly with your safety. You’ll want to make sure that you are able to stop at any point in your ride, especially if you’re going fast.
These are the other factors that you should consider:
- The wheel size of your bike should correspond with your height level and comfort level.
- Consider the fit of your bike as well—small, medium, or large.
- Think about other comfort components such as the seats, the pedals, and the handlebars.
Why You Can Depend On Our List
- Our list of bicycles may be based on affordability, but all the bikes on this list are picked because of their dependability, durability, and quality. All the bikes on this list are the best in their own category, regardless of whether they’re men’s bikes, women’s bikes, or any other. You can trust that we’ve given thought to each of these bicycles and have picked each option with the needs of the general public in mind.
- You can rely on this list to present you with the best inexpensive bikes you can choose from. We’ve researched a lot of bikes on the market to see which ones would even get close to qualifying. These bikes are the best of the best that you can have for just under $200. Some might think that $200 is not a lot to have for a decent bike budget, but our list proves otherwise. We’ve made it our goal to give you options, and there are great mountain bikes on our list that you can get for a portion of what other bikes may cost.
You should know that there is the cheap mountain bikes under 200 options for you regardless of how much you’re able or willing to spend. Your budget should never determine your bike quality, and fortunately, $200 is more than enough to buy a high-quality bike.
We’ve made it easy for you to find your next affordable mountain bike with the list that we’ve given you here. Every single one of these bikes is a great option, so don’t waste too much time looking anywhere else. Take that time instead to get your bike out off the road and into your favorite MTB trail and ride away.